[Wikimedia-l] Declaring my candidacy

Michael Peel michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk
Tue Jul 10 12:55:42 UTC 2012

I'm completely confused by your statement of candidacy, Sebastian. My understanding is the Secretary-General position is a *job* -- a paid position -- not an elected post. As such, there should be a proper recruitment process to appoint someone to the position, with a call for applications, rather than individuals putting themselves forward in an ad-hoc manner. It would be rather unethical for the WCA to appoint someone without going through proper recruitment processes...

(Also copied on-wiki at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Chapters_Association/Secretary-General/Candidacy_sebmol#The_recruitment_process )

Thanks,
Mike