[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 10 08:22:12 UTC 2012

On 9 July 2012 20:41, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> In less than half an hour Russian Wikipedia will go on one-day strike
> against SOPA/PIPA-like law in Russia [1] (in Russian).

Unless I am missing something key; whilst this is a crappy law, it is not
much like SOPA/PIPA in that it doesn't seem to threaten the existence of
Russian Wikipedia.

Comparatively; when some ISPs in the UK blacklisted The Pirate Bay at the
behest of the government we didn't black Wikipedia out over it.

Party is on #wikipedia-ru at freenode

Even in lieu of it being a valid action (and we know I am skeptical of us
being too political anyway) this is disgusting to see.

Cutting off access to free knowledge should be a sombre and severe affair;
those doing so should appreciate, deeply, the impact of their actions. They
should not be partying like school children who got access to
dad's liquor cabinet.

As with the pictures of the WMF celebrations around English Wikipedia
blackout, I am sorely disappointed.

Tom