[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing the Fellowship News

Lori Phillips lori.byrd.phillips at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:55:42 UTC 2012

I'll echo Sarah's thoughts regarding Fellowships vs. Wikipedians in
Residence.

There is a very clear difference, in my mind.

With a Wikipedian in Residence, the organization (not Wikimedia) supports,
funds (in most cases), and "houses" (gives desk space and other resources)
to a Wikipedian for the sake of connecting that institution's staff and
resources with the Wikipedia community.  It's working from the external
institution, and connecting with the Wikipedia community.

A Fellowship is a Wikimedia Foundation role, and I'm not going to attempt
to define it again because Steven, Sarah, Siko, and others can do a much
better job than I could : ).  But I would argue that typically a Fellow is
not working to "connect" with one singular outside
institution/organization. They are working on broader goals for the benefit
of the movement.

Hence, I would in no way say that a resident is some lower form of
resident. They are very different things, and both, I would argue, are
continually evolving. (For example, when the residency idea started, none
were paid at all, but as things have progressed and residents become more
sought after, there is now a precedent that they are compensated in some
way -- more and more the position is actually becoming quite lucrative.)

Happy to answer any other questions in this regard,
Lori