[Wikimedia-l] Request for comment on global bans policy

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 11:31:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Philippe Beaudette
<philippe at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Theo,
>
> Could you please expand on this a bit?  I'm not sure that I understand.  Is
> it your proposition that WMF staff shouldn't weigh in on this?  Or are you
> surprised at the number?  or what?

Hi Philippe

No, that is not my proposition. I am not surprised at the numbers either,
though everyone on staff is voting in the same way without partaking in the
discussion before. This might be incidental or you might agree with the
policy, but it currently makes up for a third of the supports.

If you were to follow my earlier reasoning, my concern stemmed more from
demarcation of roles there, something that I have brought up to you earlier
as well. If Dan's understanding is correct, Steven proposed this policy as
part of his staff role through his official work account, then he supported
from his regular editing account and then you, and some of the WMF staff
members are voting in line with the proposed policy from the volunteer
account.

My point was it was all getting a bit confusing since he mentioned this in
his postscript.

Regards
Theo