[Wikimedia-l] Request for comment on global bans policy

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 22:53:06 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's worth noting here that there is something of a disagreement about the
> import of the Terms of Use; Steve Walling and Ryan Kaldari have argued that
> the ToU require that the Wikimedia community devise a policy permitting and
> describing a process for instituting global bans. In fact, the ToU makes
> global bans optional; it assumes only the presence of a global ban policy
> (which might be "we don't do global bans").

I think I could do a better job of clarifying that I think it's the right
thing to do whatever the ToU say, though I thought that would be obvious.

> Right now, the RfC is trending towards dispensing with the current global
> ban policy. A large portion of that sentiment is from people opposed to
> global bans in general. Of course the option "we don't want global bans"
> wasn't included; if it had been, I suspect that's where most of the support
> would be.

If you think it should be added normally I would say we should just do it,
the only complication in this case being the translated versions would
become outdated. On the other hand, no one that's not fluent in English has
posted yet, so maybe that's not a disaster. In any case, I'm open to
restructuring it.

Regards,

Steven