[Wikimedia-l] Why is not free?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 4 11:40:08 UTC 2012

The current definition is very protective and incompatible with free
licenses. I can't take a free licensed photo and put the Wikipedia logo
in the background. It's not because the Logo can't be used, it's because
i can't release the the end result under a free license. If i would
create such an image and release it with the license from the photo then
it would be effectively the same as releasing the logo under this
license. If the copyright holder disagrees then i created a copyright
violation and could be sued.

If i would publish such an image under a free license then it would mean:

A) I'm creating a copyright violation since i have not the right to
release the image, which includes the logo, under a free license.
B) The copyright holder agrees to include the logo and he also agrees
with the viral license, which is effectively the same as releasing the
logo itself.

What now?