[Wikimedia-l] crazy deletionists!

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 23:33:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:15 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 July 2012 00:04, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I agree with Marc. The other day, someone said here on the list, "It's
> > almost as if what the press say and what the facts are in reality are two
> > different things that have only a very tenuous relationship."
>

> Yes, in response to you trying to support a claim by reference to a
> newspaper report. Does that mean you actually changed your mind?
> Excellent.

It's not really what we are talking about here, but – no, actually, I
haven't changed my mind, because the press's tendency towards
simplification was quite consciously exploited in this case (to link the
"Wikipedia" name to opposition to the extradition of O'Dwyer).

The press can be manipulated to all sorts of ends, sacrificing accuracy and
nuance in the process. That's precisely the problem.