[Wikimedia-l] Why is not free?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 3 23:06:21 UTC 2012

You will have to split between trademark laws and copyright laws. Both
concepts exist separately from each other. There are a lot of logos that
are not copyright protected. For example very simple text logos,
depending on country even more complex logos that don't reach the needed
threshold of originality or even works that are by now in public domain.
Still this logos and it's use is restricted due to trademark laws. So i
don't see a true reason why the Wikipedia logos should not be licensed
freely, while trademark laws still apply and we promote free content at
the same time.