[Wikimedia-l] Why is not free?

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Tue Jul 3 22:51:20 UTC 2012

Ilario, please keep apart copyright and trademarks. Rodrigo did not
question the decision to have the logos trademarked. He just questioned
the decision to keep them copyrighted.

As Tobias Oelgarte pointed out, a logo can be in the public domain and
still be protected as a trademark.

The Coca Cola logo for example is pre-1923 and therefore public domain.
But the copyright status does not affect the status as a trademark. Coca
Cola is still a strong trademark and there is no cheaply produced
low-quality fake counterfeit Cola that tries to ship as "Coca Cola".
Trademark laws work fine without copyright.

The reason why the WMF claims copyright on our logos is, that it's
easier to get rid of people who do stuff the WMF doesn't like. Even if
that stuff is perfectly legal under trademark law.

Let me try to construct an example: A company hosts an evil ad-ridden,
malware-infested copy of Wikipedia with a Wikipedia logo on the front
page saying "all content from Wikipedia [LOGO]". The WMF wants to get
rid of it. They sue for trademark infringement. The court decides
against the WMF, because it thinks that the Wikipedia logo on the front
page will not be understood by readers as affiliation but as a source
statement. The WMF can now say "Hah, we lost our case, but now we sue
them a second time, this time for copyright infringement!"

So the WMF's copyright claim is a method to have an ace up your sleeve
if you're actually in the wrong legally.

I don't like the concept. I'd rather see the logos freely licensed.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox

An'n 03.07.2012 23:29, hett Ilario Valdelli schreven: