[Wikimedia-l] crazy deletionists!

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Tue Jul 3 20:14:08 UTC 2012

On 03/07/2012 11:09 AM, Delirium wrote:
> 1) the sources really are *very* good in that case, not merely "ok"
> sources like newspaper articles;

My own (admitedly radical) point of view is that popular media - and
that includes newspapers nowadays - are not reliable sources at all in
the first place.  If you use that filter, you suddenly notice most of
the more controversial articles (regarding notability) instantly find
themselves without sources.

I don't believe that's a coincidence.  Even at their best, popular media
has no interest beyond what's hot and topical at the moment, and
attracting eyeballs with sensationalism is paramount -- accuracy be
damned if needed.

-- Coren / Marc