[Wikimedia-l] OFFICE actions and WMF image tagging

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 18:58:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Except as I then described, in fact the specifics are known - it was done
> at Sue's request, in mid-March, after she consulted with the GC and after
> Jimbo weighed in. Several other WMF staffers then commented about its
> status as an office action and their inability to publicly justify it. I
> understand why people will have a problem with that reply, it's just
> irritating to get a discussion prompt with vague allusions that you then
> have to go digging through in order to understand what the heck is going on
> :-P

I might have completely missed this discussion Nathan, would you mind
linking me to where this block was discussed? The discussion on commons
doesn't reach a conclusion among the community, and several people oppose
it.

So far, what I have seen is the discussion on Jimmy's page where he said,
"If he's still not banned in 3 days time, I'll eat my words."[1]. 2 Days
later, he is blocked as an office action [2]. There is lengthy discussion
on commons about this issue.

The response from Sue, Philippe and Maggie on commons (provided by
Philippe), all mention its an office action and we don't talk about office
actions.-

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons%3AAdministrators%27_noticeboard%2FUser_problems%2FGeni%27s_allegations_against_Beta_M&diff=68383175&oldid=68383137
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Philippe_%28WMF%29&diff=68382760&oldid=68382707
>From Maggie:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons%3AAdministrators%27_noticeboard%2FUser_problems%2FGeni%27s_allegations_against_Beta_M&diff=68412785&oldid=68412270

Again, the specifics of the issue aside, has WMF blocked anyone globally
prior to this? Can anyone be blocked tomorrow after years of being on the
projects with "OFFICE action" as the sole reason?

Regards
Theo

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jimbo_Wales&diff=481915964&oldid=481915874#Global_policy_on_child_protectiion