[Wikimedia-l] Help decide about more than $10 million of movement funds in the coming year

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 3 01:53:21 UTC 2012

Hi all,

as many of you are aware, the Wikimedia Board of Trustees recently initiated
substantial changes in the way that money is being distributed within the
Wikimedia movement. As part of this, a new community-led Funds
Dissemination Committee (FDC[1]) is currently being established. Already in
2012-13, its recommendations will guide the decisions on *how over 10
million dollars of movement funds will be **distributed* to the Foundation,
chapters and other movement groups. Much preparation work has been done in
the last months, aided by an advisory group[2], and on Friday the
"Framework for the Creation and Initial Operation of the FDC"[3] was sent
to the Board of Trustees for consideration.

As you can imagine, *it is now of vital importance to find capable,
**knowledgeable
and trustworthy community members who volunteer to serve **on the initial
Fund Dissemination Committee*, which is expected to take up its work in
September.

If you are interested in serving on the future FDC, please read our *call
for volunteers*[4] and add your name to the *nominations* page[5].  You
will be contacted shortly and asked to make a statement. Also, if you know
of other community members that you would trust to serve on this committee,
encourage them to apply. Nominations are planned to close on August 15.

You can read the *proposal*[3] to get an idea of what the FDC will be
tasked with, and what kind of work and background are expected of its
volunteer members.

Please help echo this message throughout our movement, on local language
lists, community lists, and special-interest lists, as appropriate.

I am happy to answer any questions, by e-mail or (preferably) via the talk
pages of these pages, so others can benefit from the answers.

Thanks in advance,

    Asaf

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Funds_Dissemination_Committee
[2]