[Foundation-l] Research assistance

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 18:47:34 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 5:42 AM, James Heilman <jmh649 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am applying for a summer student to do a Wikipedia Medicine research
> project through my department at UBC. One potentially project I am looking
> it is having them review all the edits made to Wikiproject Medicine
> articles. The student will go through each edit and a) determine if the
> edit is okay and revert it/fix it if it is not b) determine which edits are
> made from IP/new users verses long term edits c) calculate the percentage
> of positive/negative edits from each group d) they will be going over edits
> from more than one day old thus we will be able to determine how good
> Wikipedia is at repairing itself. I am thinking of collecting a weeks worth
> of edits.
>
> While we have a list here
>
> http://toolserver.org/~tim1357/cgi-bin/wikiproject_watchlist.py?template=WikiProject%20Medicine&order=desc&limit=200&t=0&m=1&b=0&user=&off=0&cat=0&hip=0&q=1
> if multiple edits
> are made to the same page in a single day it only shows the last one. Is it
> possible to get a list of all edits? If should be possible to work with
> this list if another is not available.
>
> If I am able to get approval and funding from UBC I am hoping to run a
> second round collecting the same data but with "pending changes" turned on
> for a week on all medical articles. This students would be required to
> handing all pending changes to all medical articles and will be collecting
> the same data as before. This will allow us to determine 1) if pending
> changes affects the numbers of IPs editing 2) if and to what degree pending
> changes reduces the visibility of poor quality content. The proposed
> student will be either between first and second year or second and third
> year medicine and will be working 40 hours per week for 6-8 weeks during
> the summer. If of course the last part of the project does not get approval
> I will still try to go ahead with the first part and will have the student
> join me on the "Medical Translation Project" as discussed here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MED/Translation_project
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Hey James,

Interesting initiative! I just wanted to say that reviewing of edits by
your student is the kind of qualitative coding that we've done a lot of
here in the research end of the Foundation, so if you want to any
assistance on either the technical end (we have a couple software options)
or with anything else, we'd be happy to help.

-- Steven