[Foundation-l] ACTA analysis?

Geoff Brigham gbrigham at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 25 04:13:59 UTC 2012

Hi Kim,

I will be happy to ask one of our junior attorney interns, Stephen, to do a
short 1-2 page summary of ACTA.  This may take about a week.  BTW Stephen
is a Wikipedian who has been providing significant and excellent support to
me during the SOPA protest.

Cheers,

Geoff

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I would like to thank Geoff Brigham for the excellent job he did analysing
> the consequences of SOPA for wikipedia.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Legal_overview
>
> Would it be possible to analyse ACTA in a similar manner? This is
> apparently the treaty text:
>
> http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/assets/pdfs/acta-crc_apr15-2011_eng.pdf
>

> Possibly we've already done so, and I've missed it? :-)
>
> I'm especially interested in the following questions:
> * What issues, if any, does ACTA raise, for wikipedia?
> * what points would be wise to point out to legislature, to ensure
> wikipedia does not come to harm, if implemented anyway?
>
> We can then proceed to engage with the diverse members of the diverse
> committees in .eu (as required), or engage with our local
> legislature (as required)
>
> Once appropriate for us, note that La quadrature du net is taking action,
> and has collected all relevant phone numbers and addresses etc:
>
> https://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/How_to_act_against_ACTA#Contact_your_Elected_Representatives
>
> The window for action on ACTA is now very narrow, time is short.
>
> sincerely,
>         Kim Bruning

Geoff Brigham
General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
149 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6750
gbrigham at wikimedia.org

*California Registered In-House Counsel*

sum of all knowledge.  That's our commitment.  www.wikimediafoundation.org

*This message is confidential and may be legally privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please
telephone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment
from your system; you must not copy or disclose the contents of this
message or any attachment to any other person.*