[Foundation-l] ACTA analysis?

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 25 01:29:15 UTC 2012

I would like to thank Geoff Brigham for the excellent job he did analysing the consequences of SOPA for wikipedia.
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Legal_overview

Would it be possible to analyse ACTA in a similar manner? This is apparently the treaty text:
	http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/assets/pdfs/acta-crc_apr15-2011_eng.pdf

Possibly we've already done so, and I've missed it? :-)

I'm especially interested in the following questions:
* What issues, if any, does ACTA raise, for wikipedia?
* what points would be wise to point out to legislature, to ensure wikipedia does not come to harm, if implemented anyway?

We can then proceed to engage with the diverse members of the diverse committees in .eu (as required), or engage with our local
legislature (as required)

Once appropriate for us, note that La quadrature du net is taking action, and has collected all relevant phone numbers and addresses etc:
	https://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/How_to_act_against_ACTA#Contact_your_Elected_Representatives

The window for action on ACTA is now very narrow, time is short.

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning