[Foundation-l] List moderation (WAS: Politico...)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 18:19:29 UTC 2012

On 23 January 2012 14:53, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the surface this is a very frivolous post. Funnily enough I have
> a serious point I have been nursing along for a while. Any
> list moderators listening? There are times when the mailing
> list itself can be a source of infighting and internal politics. I submit
> this is not one of them, and as such, I think modified rules to the
> soft moderation rules should be adopted. Blatant trolling should
> get a "one strike and you are on hard moderation" response,
> and monthly moderation limits should be lifted entirely. We really
> are on war footing. Not bean-bags at 50 yards footing. We need
> to sort things out, and more talk is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I'm splitting this out into a new thread, since it's off-topic for the
lobbying thread.

The problem with zero tollerance for blatant trolling (which is a
policy everyone would agree to) is that there is often a lot of
disagreement over what actually constitutes blatant trolling. If you
aren't careful, you can end up with more heated debates about
moderation than you ever had about the actual controversies that were
being discussed.

I agree that more talk is a good thing. The moderation limits serve
two purposes - to keep the total volume down and also to avoid a small
number of people dominating discussion. I don't think the former is
necessarily desirable, but a case can be made for the latter. I
suggest the moderation limits be set at 5% of the emails so far in
that month (with some common sense applied in the first week or so -
obviously the first person to send an email in a month would be at
100% until the next email!). In most months, that would be around 30
emails, but it means that when there is simply a lot of discussion
going on people can contribute to it without being unnecessarily
silenced half-way through the month.

I was looking at the statistics last night (I'm not too far off 30
posts so far this month, so wanted to keep an eye on it) and apart
from two people (who know who they are!) it's currently rare for
anyone to go over 30 posts except in particularly busy months. I don't
think anyone has actually been put on moderation in those busy months,
so the policy might as well reflect actual practice.