[Foundation-l] Research assistance

David Goodman dggenwp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 04:18:30 UTC 2012

Experimentation that relies on the availability of Pending changes
would be better carried out of those language Wikipedias that have
adopted the system, such as the German Wikipedia.

The English WP decide not to use Pending Changes; I cannot for certain
predict what would happen if the request to revive it on a basis such
as you propose were to go to the English WP community, but I think
most of the interested people there would be extremely reluctant to
revisit the issue, after having debated in so extensively for so long.
This would I think apply even to experimental use: the initial
implementation was proposed as an experiment, and was continued
without authorization for a while even after the experiment was
supposed to end, before community protest put an end to it.  I don't
think the editors in any one subject area would consider themselves to
have the authority to reverse this overall decision for their area,
and I doubt the community as a whole would be prepared to grant such
authority.

There is no evidence that the medical sections of Wikipedia have a
particularly high incidence of problems; indeed, recent reviews from
various sources found the precise opposite.  Another audit of the
editing would certainly be useful, of course and, as Fred points out,
the interface is designed to facilitate such audits.