[Foundation-l] Politico: "Wikimedia foundation hires lobbyists on sopa, pipa"

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 01:24:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 2:12 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 January 2012 23:50, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So we will put a few fallback datacenters elsewhere, just so our
>> various communities and chapters realize we aren't going to be
>> bullied by US jurisdiction.
>

> AIUI setting up the new Virginia datacentre took considerable effort
> and planning, so it's not a trivial task. And the key, of course, is
> not "do we have a few hundred squids?" but "where does the really
> pretty centralised MySQL database for that particular wiki live?" But
> this suggests a significant part of the hard thinking on this issue
> has been done.

"You might very well think so, I couldn't possibly comment. (for one,
not to embarrass your view of your own acumen)" :-D

> This ties into the question (which should be easier to raise now) of
> "how forkable is Wikipedia in practice?" Not for purposes of forking
> with rancor, but for basic backup hygiene: given the available data,
> software and configuration information, is it actually feasible to
> create a working backup of Wikipedia, if the WMF is hit by a legal
> meteor?

Just for my own purposes, I do have to profess and and proclaim;
if I ever did talk about forking in rancour, I did say I would bankroll
their way, not join them out from the ship. And keep the money
reins tight so they didn't ever turn hostile in earnest.

But the last point is cogent. OPEN is a Pandoras Box. It isn't a legal
meteor, it is a hangmans noose around the whole Internet. And as
such, it would pretty much force a thousand Baidu Baidus around
the world to bloom, which  is why Google is not waiting, but is acting
right now. And sadly wikipedia is still not living in the real world on this.

> This is getting towards a wikitech-l discussion ... but your basic
> concept is sound: as digital natives, we understand instinctively that
> the way to preserve something is to spread *lots* of copies of it
> around. Even if doing so is quite difficult and unwieldy.

While I would love the wikitech people to be on the ball and do some
hardcore contingency planning, the real issue is strategic, and entails
moslty that we show ability and willingness no make a stand, not just
for one day, but for all time.