[Foundation-l] Politico: "Wikimedia foundation hires lobbyists on sopa, pipa"

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Mon Jan 23 00:42:13 UTC 2012

On 22 January 2012 23:33, Theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You may have heard the other stereotype about lobbying, that people who
> actually propose and support legislation like SOPA and PIPA are backed by
> lobbyist on behalf RIAA, MPAA and other large publishers, who have very
> deep pockets. It is not an uncommon assumption that the majority of the
> lobbying industry backs the other side on the issue, since it is about
> money and employing a lobbying firm's services is only a matter of how much
> money someone is willing to spend on it. I considered lobbyists as a tool
> for the wealthy to get their say, who can't state their opposing positions
> openly. Again, these might be stereotypes, but the general realities aren't
> that far off either.

Yes, it certainly does have a negative connotation. But, remember,
(with appropriate citation needed tag) that lobbying, certainly in
Britain, is a right every citizen has: to ask their Member of
Parliament to meet them in the lobby of the Palace of Westminster to
discuss their concerns.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>