[Foundation-l] Policies on wikimediafoundation.org

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 23:02:24 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> MZMcBride, 21/01/2012 01:19:
>
>> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Policies#Policies lists policies of
>> the
>> Wikimedia Foundation.
>>
>> Would it make sense to sub-divide these policies into sub-lists? It seems
>> very strange to place all of these policies next to each other in a single
>> list.
>>
>> I thought about splitting between "Board-approved" and "Otherwise." Then I
>> considered splitting between "Staff-related", "Contributor-related,"
>> "Meetings-related,"  etc., but I wasn't so sure how many of these policies
>> actually (allegedly) apply to contributors (e.g., the whistleblower
>> policy).
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?
>

> It should be easy to divide board-approved policies from legal-approved
> policies and other policies (which are usually "self-policies", and are
> sometimes on Meta only).
>
> Nemo

It would be, though I'm not sure that's the most useful division --
I'd imagine what most people want to know is what policies apply to
all of the global projects vs what policies apply to just the WMF vs
what policies might apply to the WMF & other wikimedia entities
(chapters and groups). It is difficult to figure out what the global
project policies are, and that is a question that comes up pretty
regularly.

I don't have much spare time right this minute to do it, but I can
lend a hand with this; having legal involved would also be helpful.

cheers,
phoebe