[Foundation-l] COMPLETED: Mailing lists server migration today

Mark Bergsma mark at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 18 15:44:50 UTC 2012

On <s>Jan 13</s>Jan 18, 2012, at 2:54 PM, Mark Bergsma wrote:

> Today I will be migrating the mailing lists from a very old server (lily) in Amsterdam, to a new server (sodium) in our new Ashburn data center. Mailman will be upgraded to version 2.1.13 along the way.
>
> During the migration, mail will be delayed as all data will need to be transferred to the new host. No mail should go lost, but no new mails will be sent out during the process until done, and the web interface will be unavailable. This shouldn't take about one hour, if all goes well.
>
> I will report here when things should be back up and running. Afterwards, please let us know of any new issues, in bugzilla or on IRC (#wikimedia-tech). We don't expect any problems, but as with any software upgrade or migration, this can't be guaranteed...

The mailing lists server migration is now complete - Mailman is now running on server sodium.

As some people pointed out, my message earlier today was indeed sent out with the wrong Date header. I simply redirected my old mail and edited it a bit, forgetting that the Date header would not be adjusted by my mail client. Sorry for that. :)

The Mailman migration went smoothly, and I'm not aware of any problems. Please let us know in Bugzilla or on IRC (#wikimedia-tech) if you're experiencing any new issues.

Unfortunately we needed to change the IP address of lists.wikimedia.org for this migration. Some large e-mail providers (e.g. Google) are rate limiting reception of mail messages from the new IP (208.80.154.4) because it's not known and whitelisted yet. To prevent further mail delivery delays today, I've configured the new lists server to forward mails that would otherwise be delayed via the old mail server and old source IP address again, for the time being.

Thanks,

--
Mark Bergsma <mark at wikimedia.org>
Lead Operations Architect