[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikipedia is considering going dark to protest SOPA and PIPA

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 11:16:00 UTC 2012

A short note on an individual basis of my own (not community's behalf):

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Philippe Beaudette
<philippe at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> To be very clear: a decision on English Wikipedia to take action on this is
> not binding on Commons.

Fine but it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider if each other
community, specially English language ones, joins the action the
English Wikipedia community is now discussing and developing, or for
the English Wikipedia community to ask the other projects to call for
participation of her action.

Slightly OT but I wish someone leaves a neat comment during the
discussion on SOPA, copyright, US legislative in general or anything
worth to quote so that we at Wikiquote would love to cite later, and
oh belated happy birthday big sister Wikipedia.

Cheers,

> ___________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Head of Reader Relations
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> 415-839-6885, x 6643
>
> philippe at wikimedia.org
>
> To check my email volume (and thus know approx how long it will take me to
> respond), go to http://courteous.ly/hpQmqy
>

> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 3:23 AM, Svip <svippy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14 January 2012 12:20, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:

>> > Commons most likely will only run a banner. There is currently a straw
>> > poll abut it. The blackout has not even been seriously discussed. (And I
>> > personally think it will not be a good idea because many hotlinks to
>> > Commons files would just disappear without any explanation in case of the
>> > blackout - not something which add us much credibility).
>>
>> Is there talk about blackout on the files or just the pages?  I don't
>> think a blackout on Commons would have the effect you described.
>> 'Hotlinked images' from Commons would continue to work as normal.
>> Including images in a blackout is usually a bit more work than usual
>> (Apache rewrite rules, etc.), while pages can simply be caught with a
>> quick and dirty MW-extension (or even just JavaScript).

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp