[Foundation-l] Duolingo, potential way of getting good quality translations?

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Jan 16 08:44:41 UTC 2012

It is not 280+ languages, but it is more than English to Spanish and
most likely more languages can be added. I already tried using it to
study German, and i was very positively impressed with their nice
exercise system.

My guess is that at a later stage they'll want to employ crowdsourcing
techniques to get people to manually translate sentences as exercises
to build a large corpus of translations, or maybe somehow use the
language courses to correct machine translations. There's nothing
wrong about it and we can try to collaborate there and get their users
to translate some things that would be useful for us. For example,
summaries of important articles from English and French Wikipedias to
smaller languages that don't have them yet, or articles about the
local cultures to larger languages.

They seem to be rather open and friendly to modern technologies and
Free software: When I noticed that they use Flash for audio, i emailed
them about it and said that it's unfortunate that they use this
outdated technology instead of HTML5. They actually replied and said
that they plan to replace it with HTML5 as soon as modern browsers
support the audio features they require. So it's probably possible to
approach them with more ideas for collaboration.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬