[Foundation-l] Duolingo, potential way of getting good quality translations?

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 03:36:52 UTC 2012

On 16 January 2012 02:22, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> One of the
> risks of using this between Wikipedias is that those in the new language
> will see it as data dumping. I think some take pride in the fact that
> their articles on a subject are independently developed.

Yes I agree this is a potential risk, but I would say that this kind of
thing should only be done with:
a) local on-wiki consensus
b) to the talkpage (or some kind of project page) - NOT directly over the
top of the existingarticle.
These points would, I think, alleviate the concerns you raised.

This is all hypothetical of course as, like you say, their website is
pretty empty right now given it's still in private beta. I'm sure we'll be
able to see some of the "translation results" once their project gets
further developed. And hey, since they're spruiking that their system could
potentially translate all English WP to Spanish in very short time, perhaps
they were thinking of giving us their results already :-)

Does anyone know any more about this organisation or what they plan to do
with their translations, once they've been made?

-liam