[Foundation-l] Bosnia's Top Cultural Institutions > Shutting Down

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 09:54:49 UTC 2012

2012/1/8 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:

> So it sounds like the first thing we (in this case, local Wikipedians)
> should do is approach them and say "We don't have money, but is there
> anything else we can positively help with? What's the programme?"

It's not so simple - you might very well find that there is no
programme. While Romania's cultural institutions are far from the
desperate situation in Bosnia, they have a tradition of doing just
what the bosses are asking and little more. So if the Ministry of
Culture is saying "create a long term plan for conserving such or such
category of artefacts", they will make and follow such a plan;
otherwise, they will just go along as if degradation never happens.

I expect you might find a somewhat similar situation in Bosnia - there
is no boss (Ministry of Culture) and no money, so why make plans? The
wikimedians willing to help should in this case concentrate on
*creating* the links with institutions able to help the Bosnians
either financially or with know-how. The Wiki Loves Monuments and
other GLAM events showed that we have the contacts and willingness to
make that happen.

Anyhow, we need to consider that we've discussed this quite a lot
already. Perhaps it's time for someone to take the lead on this? My
personal view is that you, David, are a much better candidate than
emijrp :)

Strainu