[Foundation-l] Bosnia's Top Cultural Institutions > Shutting Down

Craig Franklin craig at halo-17.net
Sun Jan 8 01:42:29 UTC 2012

> Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 01:25:33 +0400
> From: "Yaroslav M. Blanter" <putevod at mccme.ru>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Bosnia's Top Cultural Institutions
>        Shutting Down
> To: Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List
>        <foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 22:13:58 +0100, emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, it is. So what's the game plan?
>>>

>> I'm not sure. If the WMF goals are to collect/preserve/disseminate
>> educational content, they can start with the holdings in endangered
>> cultural institutions. It is not my work, but some suggestions, from low
>> high involvement:
>>
>> * blog post exposing the events
>> * a call to the museums, showing that we are concerned
>> * offering wikimedia projects to host any materials they want to give
>> * marathon to create related articles
>> * organize a "Wiki Invades..." to take photos and notes of the
> collections
>> * wikipedian in residence and put some money to fund some activities
>> * any other high profile partnership
>>
>> And read international news related to our long-term goals.
>>
>> Regards,
>> emijrp
>
> May be checking with WM Serbia (I am not sure they can do anything, but it
> would be good to know) and leaving a message on Serbian Wikipedia asking
> for advise/clarification/actions. Everybody can leave this message, but
> probably the most efficient would be to find someone who speaks Serbian.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

I might just be a crypto-American chauvinist (and really, that sort of
inflammatory message is completely unnecessary on this list), so I
apologise for any ignorance on the situation, but would Wikimedia
Serbia really be the best organisation to help out here.  My
understanding is that Bosnia-Serbia relations are still very...
delicate... and a Serbian organisation coming in to help out with
Bosnian cultural artefacts, no matter how well meaning, might not get
the most enthusiastic of receptions.

Cheers,
Craig