[Foundation-l] A fundraiser for editors

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:02:47 UTC 2012

James Heilman, 03/01/2012 17:36:
> I am not suggesting that we use just a simple banner. We need to
> create something with a picture of a Wikipedian with text like "join
> us in improving the world leading encyclopedia, click here to learn
> how."
>
> Than when people click it will ask them "what sort of subject area are
> you interested in" with options like medicine and
> grammar/copyrediting, etc.
>
> After which it would displace important thing people need to now for
> the topic area or task they have shown interest in. For medicine they
> would be given guidelines on what are appropriate references and a
> link to WikiProject medicine where they can post comments.

I'm quite sure this would scare them off.
What about professional video instructions on fundamentals, like WMIT
WikiGuides? <http://wikimedia.it/index.php/WikiGuide/en>
They've been promoted only with very, very small sitenotices; perhaps
the appeal from editor + video model (thested thouroughly by WMDE I
think) could work, and because the video is ready it could be tested
easily on it.wiki.

> This effort would be supported by the number crunchers at the WMF who
> would determine which messages received more clicks and which messages
> resulted in more editors. The banner shown could also be subject area
> specific where we could test if having a medical student request
> someone joins us is more effective than having someone with a
> significant medical condition etc.

Nemo