[Foundation-l] Oral Citations Sourcing

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Feb 27 10:05:06 UTC 2012

On 02/26/12 2:58 PM, M. Williamson wrote:
> Ziko, you raise the subject of "illiterates"... I feel that it is blatant
> discrimination to assert that the only way illiterates can create sources
> worthy of citation on Wikipedia is either by becoming literate, or by being
> interviewed by a literate person. This to me indicates a value judgement,
> that literate people are inherently "worth more" than illiterate people.

Indeed, I noticed that. "Members of a pre-literate society" might be
better, but we still damage the narrative when we insist that they
become literate in the relevant colonial language. Where the information
is gathered by an interviewer in the colonial language that too distorts
a narrative that is closely tied to the native language.  All
translations are opinions.

Ray