[Foundation-l] Oral Citations Sourcing

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Sat Feb 25 16:48:26 UTC 2012

Hello Ziko,

I disagree :-)

Yes, it is the way how classic encyclopedia worked. But Wikipedia is not
a classic encyclopedia, and I don't see the sense to bound ourselves
possibilities just to please some old traditional rules.

Classic encyclopedias were written by scholars, Wikipedia is not.
Wikipedia say, everyone can work on an encyclopedia, and because of
this, the content included in Wikipedia is far more richer and broader
than in a classic encyclopedia.

Scholars have limited capacities. A lot of things scholars cannot pay
attention to everything. In give everyone the possibility to pay
attention to what they think is interesting and important in their life,
we can free a lot of potentials that the scholars cannot.

Scholars have their own point of view. Over eons scholars thought only
what kings and knights did are important for the history. We know today
this is wrong, and the scholars of today are happy if they can find a
garbage dump from a village of thousands of years ago, so that they can
catch a glimps about how people lived then. Suppose the people in those
villages could have recorded their lives with the oral citations.

In the history of science it is proven many times that also amateurs can
provide breakthroughs and insights that scholars neglected. Done in an
orderly way oral citations on Wikimedia projects can provide a lot of
sources and informations that the scholarship are not able to because of
the lack of capacity, interest, ideology.

And Ziko, you didn't answer Lodewijk's question. Lodewijk asked examples
where Castelo (in this case me) think oral citation is inavoidable. And
he asked you to say how this can be solved without oral citation. The
method you come upon is not a solution, because maybe no scholar will
probably ever write anything about the crab catchers when the coast of
Shandong was still rural. Which means, you think this would be lost for
ever. And you take it is (probably as sad), but given. But I think there
are possibilities where we can save such knowledges. And that is engage
and enpower volunteers to gather these informations, as I said, in an
orderly way.

Greetings
Ting