[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia considering declaring open-season on works from countries lacking US copyright relations

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 18:59:08 UTC 2012

I have updated

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:PD-Afghanistan

in an attempt to be compliant with US law and started a discussion
about this at:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#PD-Afghanistan

The prior template, and the way it appeared to be used in some cases,
seemed to suggest that any image taken inside Afghanistan was PD.
This is of course not the case.  Hopefully my updates at least address
the minimum legal issues.

I'm not at all convinced that having PD-Afghanistan (or any comparable
PD templates on other projects) is a good thing, but at the very least
such templates need to be consistent with Berne / US laws regarding
the treatment of content from non-treaty states.  In my opinion, the
larger ethical issues still deserve further consideration though.

-Robert Rohde