[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia considering declaring open-season on works from countries lacking US copyright relations

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Thu Feb 23 18:42:06 UTC 2012

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2005-August/027373.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Copyrights#Usage_Option_1_Support

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Copyrights#RfC:_What_to_do_with_respect_to_the_copyright_of_countries_with_which_the_US_does_not_have_copyright_relations.3F
> [4] http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.pdf

Is anybody aware of the situation on Commons with these countries? Should
I alert Commons on this discussion?

An obvious argument against treating works from these countries as PD
would be that soon or later the countries will sign the treaties and the
works would have to be removed from WM projects. At the same time, having
them temporarily as PD would obscure usual work on getting free media such
as stimulating taking photos of free buildings, contacting authors for
permissions etc.

Cheers
Yaroslav