[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia considering declaring open-season on works from countries lacking US copyright relations

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 11:52:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
> ..
>
> As September 2010, Afghanistan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, San
> Marino and Turkmenistan have no copyright relations with the US. [4]
> All works published in these countries by nationals of these countries
> are considered to be in the public domain in the US unless they were
> also published in a country that has US copyright relations within 30
> days of their original appearance.

On English Wikisource, we consider these to be public domain.
We tag them that as public domain and explain why.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Template:PD-Ethiopia
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Template:PD-Iran
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Template:PD-Iraq

Afghanistan is different.  They dont have any laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan_and_copyright_issues

Commons also treats their works as public domain.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:PD-Afghanistan

--
John Vandenberg