[Foundation-l] EFE: Indigenous languages entering Wikipedia

Osmar Valdebenito osmar at wikimediachile.cl
Tue Feb 21 02:23:23 UTC 2012

Hi Samuel and Gerard, thanks for your answer

About UNESCO, we as WM-CL haven't been able to contact lately with the
representative of UNESCO in the country. UNESCO was one of the promoters of
the last Congress of the Chilean Indigenous Languages past November, but I
didn't have the chance to meet its representative (he was very hurried and
I was mostly dedicated to meet people from the communities). I hope this
year we can meet with them and see if they can support us, and also
probably with CONADI, the National Corporation for Indigenous Affairs. We
want to make a reality the idea of a Mapudungun Wikipedia that Jimmy and
former president Michelle Bachelet "announced" on 2008 when he was in
Santiago.[1]

We have some contacts with some indigenous organizations, mainly with the
Network for Inter-Cultural Education and the Federation of Mapuche Students
and we expect to have meetings with some universities in Southern Chile
dedicated to the studies of Mapudungun (Catholic University of Temuco,
University of La Frontera and the Southern University). They are all
committed for the preservation of the Mapudungun language. We also had some
conversations with people from the Rapanui Academy of the Language, the
official institution for the promotion of the language at Easter Island,
and we expect to work with them in the near future.

But there are several problems, especially with Mapudungun Wikipedia.
Currently, ISO code for Mapudungun is arn from Araucanian, an offensive
word used by the Spanish and Chilean conquerors till the past century. That
name is also used by Unicode for their translation (and so, it is used in
our {{#language}} magic word). The use of the code for the community is a
serious issue... nobody would like to work in a project with an offensive
word attached to it. We have been trying to contact the ISO authority and
also the US Library of the Congress (which is in charge of ISO 639-1) but
we didn't get an answer. I know that the Language Committee has an strict
rule about the use of ISO code but I think this is an exceptional case
where the use of that code is a really sensitive issue that could damage
any development.

We have been working in the meantime in the Incubator but it is really
difficult to engage new people there (it's not easy to use any link
[[Wp/arn/this|this]] [[Wp/arn/way|way]] for example) and without the
technical problems about the alphabet to be used solved. We have increased
the growth rate of the project in the past months but it is still slow.
Gerard, is there any "goal" of how many articles should we reach to apply
for the LangCom?

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BBzxiofuz4

Osmar Valdebenito Gaete

Presidente de Wikimedia Chile