[Foundation-l] The 'Undue Weight' of Truth on Wikipedia (from the Chronicle) + some citation discussions

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 20:04:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Mike Christie <coldchrist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the policies can be improved, but they are written to stop bad
> editing rather than to encourage good editing.  I don't think that can be
> changed.  It's impossible to legislate good judgement, and it's judgement
> that was called for with the Haymarket article.

If policies don't encourage good judgment, or discourage bad judgment,
then what are policies for?

It seems worth discussing whether it would be good to revise the
existing policy to restore its original (presumed) functionality.

More generally, I've believed for a long time that WP policies have
been increased, modified, and subverted in ways that both create a
higher barrier to entry for new editors and that discourage both new
editors and existing ones.

--Mike