[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 95, Issue 61

Joan Goma jrgoma at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:38:06 UTC 2012

> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 18:12:46 +0100
> From: Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org>
>

> And -- in the event the OP is still here, Joan Gom?, how are you
> properly addressed in person? I have heard people say things like
> "When does Gom? arrive in Paris" and I have also been using that. But
> you should presumably be addressed as Joan -- and presumably with the
> J sound pronounced as a Y?
>
> Thanks,
> Sue

Well I am a bit ashamed by all this attentions to this off topic issue. I
am used to many changes in my name but if you are curious this is the idea:

It is indifferent to use the name or surname. In Catalan it is much more
common to use the surname even among friends because the names are repeated
a lot but either is correct and usual.

"J" in Catalan is pronounced exactly the same as in English. It is
perfectly correct to pronounce Joan as in English. It sounds like if you
came from Valencia. In Barcelona it is pronounced Jooan the “o” sounds like
“oo” in book.