[Foundation-l] My public aplogies to Jan-Bart (was Movement roles letter, Feb 2012)

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 16 15:08:40 UTC 2012

On 16 February 2012 12:32, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 February 2012 11:27, John Du Hart <compwhizii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is this really something to get upset over? It's not as if he was calling
>> you stupid, he simply misspelled your name (shortened it, really).
>

> People's own names are extremely important to them.

Very true. When I was in school learning journalism, that was the only
way to get an automatic fail: getting someone's name wrong. (Now I say
that, I guess you also failed if you plagiarized or fabricated. But
getting someone's name wrong was the most seemingly-trivial way to
fail.)

While we're on the topic, here's a public service announcement. It's
Bishakha Datta, not Bishaka Datta. The single most-frequently
misspelled name on our lists, AFAICT. Also, Erik Moeller or Erik
Möller with umlaut. Never Erik Moller with no umlaut :-)

Thanks,
Sue