[Foundation-l] Movement roles letter, Feb 2012

Gustavo Carrancio gustavocarra at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:12:22 UTC 2012

Hi, everyone!

Alec, I share your enthusiasm about wikimedia revolution, and I also have
been nagging my chapter with the idea of the shared wikivalues. I ask
everyone to take this in mind as a lighthouse in the gales. Governance is
not an easy way, and for sure we're going to make some big mistakes in our
way. It doesn't mather, the goal is so beautiful to fight for, that it
deserves some frustating moments. :)

Well, it's only my humble opinion, but I think that we all have deployed
too soon the seminal idea of  anthere, I mean, a wikicouncil. I think that
this idea will overcome some inconvenients between different ways of
engagging with Wikimedia movement and legitimacy.

Some reasons alleged  in meta are the increase in bureaucracy and therefore
a slowing in  decission making. But let me say that this idea has some
advantages that overcome those minor problems:

* Well, some decissions have to be slow and reflexive by their own (i.e
long term strategics, movement structure). Those are the kind of decissions
to be taken by the wikicouncil.
*Wikicouncil is the only way of representation which is full legitimate and
representative of a movement who has multiple ways of participation.
*Wikicouncil will be a forum to put together the different ways of advocacy.
*Wikicouncil shall not increase budget as it can take place simultaneously
with Wikimania.

I think that the roles of the multiple entities must be very clearified in
order to avoid outreach confussions, and coordination must be mandatory to
get WMF approvals. Under the proper coordination of agendas and messages, I
think that there is nothing to worry, and even joint apparition of chapters
and other movement forms will be reinforcing in terms of outreach
activities.