[Foundation-l] Fwd: Right to be Forgotten

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Sat Feb 11 18:39:53 UTC 2012

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:25:56 -0700 (MST), "Fred Bauder"
<fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> I think the biggest problems might involve users who have been trashed
> for one reason or another, justified or not.
>
> Fred

My understanding is that the legislation is not so much about users (which
we can handle anyway), but about notable persons which have some
information about them leaked into media and they want toi remove this
information. I remember when I was still an admin in Russian Wikipedia, I
had a long conversation with an admin of a website of a rock star, who
wanted to change the birth year in the article on the person (basically,
making her five years younger) even though we had sources claiming the
opposite. This did not happen, since I accidentally knew I was younger than
the star, and the proposed year would make her younger than me, but I think
the legislation in this case would require to have the information on the
birth year deleted from all sources (and, obciously, also from our
articles). I would like to hear a legal opinion though.

Cheers
Yaroslav