[Foundation-l] Fwd: Right to be Forgotten

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Feb 11 17:30:02 UTC 2012

Is the worry primarily around article-space, or around Wikipedia users?
There's already
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Courtesy_vanishing, though it
would have to be made somewhat more rigorous (and no longer a mere
courtesy) if it were an actual legal obligation.

As a non-lawyer, I would consider our uses in article-space to all fall
under the exceptions, though I wouldn't want to speculate on whether a
court would agree. At least in principle, Wikipedia articles only cover
material of historical, cultural, scientific, artistic, sociological,
etc. interest. If anything, we're more often criticized for upholding
that viewpoint too strongly; vociferous complaints about Wikipedia's
"deletionism" seem to pop up in nearly every external discussion of
Wikipedia. Though this may lower the bar for people wanting information
removed from Wikipedia, by providing an alternate route from the usual
libel-law approach that doesn't require them to prove libel, so might be
bad pragmatically.

-Mark