[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: Building a new Legal and Community Advocacy Department & Promotion of Philippe Beaudette

Geoff Brigham gbrigham at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 9 23:49:30 UTC 2012

Today, we are excited to announce the start of our building of a new
department called the “Legal and Community Advocacy Department.”  This new
alignment recognizes that we can combine the best of legal and community
advocacy to foster new ways to advance the interests of the community
consistent with the goals and strategies of the Foundation.   For details,
please go to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal/LCA_Announcement.

As part of this reorganization, I’m pleased to announce that Philippe
Beaudette has been promoted to Director of Community Advocacy.  We will
start engaging our community shortly and enter into a consultation period
with it to brainstorm how to build the department.  We anticipate that it
will take us about 6-12 months to get the right team and drive the new
department at full speed.

The community is invited to join us on Friday for office hours to discuss
the new Legal and Community Advocacy Department.  Details for the IRC chat
can be found at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours.

Geoff Brigham
General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation