[Foundation-l] New project: WikiMake - library of free 3D models?

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Wed Feb 8 20:03:40 UTC 2012

On 8 February 2012 10:10, Leinonen Teemu <teemu.leinonen at aalto.fi> wrote:
> Has there been any attempt to start a Wikimedia project focusing on free 3D models?
>
> I think, right now it would be the right timing for it. The prices of 3D printers and other computer controlled machines are coming down [1] and there are growing network of FabLabs around the world providing access for public to design and fabricate their own objects.[2]
>
> I have contacts to the European Fablab folks and we probably could start with them a project on an Incubator.

Fabbing isn't the primary thing I'm interested in. I think far more
interesting for Wikipedia is now that WebGL exists, we could tie 3D
models into Wikipedia articles. It'd have ridiculous educational
value: just imagine, you want to see how big a dinosaur is? Well, you
get a 3D model of Wembley stadium from the relevant Wikipedia article,
add it to your 3D objects 'shelf' (like bookmarks) and then click over
to the T. Rex article, get a 3D model of one of those, and drop fifty
of them into a stadium (preferably when $LOCAL_SPORTS_FRANCHISE's
rival is playing, amirite?) to see relative size.

I'm wondering whether 3D Wikipedia would be possible: some kind of
WebGL-based JavaScript 'player' that has a few pluggable physics
presets. Then the ability to load models from Commons. I don't know
enough about file formats and licensing and so on, but, this could be
really exciting if it is possible.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>