[Foundation-l] Facebook Group re pornography on Wikipedia

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 03:57:20 UTC 2012

Perhaps a better example is the article on Santa Claus. If you look at the
talkpage, you'll find a couple of people protesting that it isn't a
"child-friendly" article, by which they really mean that we don't "play
along" with the Santa charade like NORAD, Google and countless other
prominent examples. Of course, not playing along is the CORRECT course of
action, that is what our principles tell us to do - we shouldn't be
knowingly providing false information to anybody, whatever our intention.
(In my opinion, the Santa Claus article doesn't state clearly enough that
Santa Claus is not a real person, due to the persistent efforts of two or
three editors who want the article to be more "child friendly")

So yes, lots of people think what we're doing is wrong, but so what? You
can never please anybody. That is why you need to choose a set of
principles and stick with them. At least that way, when people don't like
what you're doing, you can point to your principles and say "Hey, we've
always been this way" and you get credibility from having had the same
policy or position all along.