[Foundation-l] Fw: Strike against the collection of personal data through edit links

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sat Feb 4 22:19:36 UTC 2012

Fred Bauder wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
>> 3 months I can live with :-) Can someone from WMF just confirm what data
>> is kept for how long?
>
> The exact time is confidential.

Err, no, I don't think so. It's not defined in the files at
<http://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/>, which means it should be using the
default, as defined at
<http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/CheckUser/CheckU
ser.php?revision=106556&view=markup>. From that file:

---
# How long to keep CU data?
$wgCUDMaxAge = 3 * 30 * 24 * 3600; // 3 months
---

The last attempt to change this value (without community discussion) was
summarily shot down:
<http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki?view=revision&revision=40847>.

That's only CheckUser data, though. I'm not sure what David wants confirmed
from the Wikimedia Foundation. Different data has different expiries. A lot
of it is permanent (e.g., revisions aren't going anywhere for the most
part). I guess the question is specific to the ClickTracking extension:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ClickTracking>?

MZMcBride