[Foundation-l] Strike against the collection of personal data through edit links

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 13:57:40 UTC 2012

Strike against the collection of personal data through edit links

I have started a strike to protest against the collection of personal
information through edit links. I won't edit articles with
articleFeedbackv5_ct_token= ids in their URLs, as has become the case
with the English Wikipedia article Costa Concordia disaster.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Article_Feedback_Tool/Version_5#Meaning_and_purpose_of_.22action.3Dclicktracking.22.2C_.22token.3D.22.2C_and_.22articleFeedbackv5_click_tracking.22_in_the_edit_links_of_some_articles

Also it is becoming uncomfortable to edit section 0 of an article. On
a normal wiki article, to edit section 0, one copy-pastes the edit
link of section 1 and changes "1" into "0". This is no longer possible
in a reliable enough way, as the effect of changing the URL becomes
obscure.

If you started editing Wikipedia trusting that the WMF would not
collect personal data beyond the strict minimum that is necessary to
create an encyclopedia, you might be disappointed like I am.

An other problem is that the contents of those URLs are "leaked" at
least to your own Internet Service Provider (like any URL), and
potentially to all websites you are browsing, as they become part of
your browser history, untill you clear your browser history.

And please don't tell me that those URLs are harmless. I don't wan't
to edit a faith-based website. I want to edit a website without
obscure features.