[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Hungary Report - January 2012

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:51:58 UTC 2012

Dear all,

The January 2012 report of Wikimedia Hungary is now available at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports/Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g/January_2012
.

For your convenience, it is reproduced below.

Best regards,

Bence Damokos,
Wikimedia Hungary

*Wikimedia Hungary Report*
*Vol 5 Issue 1*
*January 2011*
*Prepared by: Bence Damokos*

This is an update on Wikimédia Magyarország's activities covering January
2012. Reports covering the September - December 2011 period have been
prepared but due to a server
crash<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports/Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g/January_2012#Server_crash>
they
will only be released at a later time.
 Meetings

During the month of January we had one general membership meetup and a
board meeting. The membership meetup was aimed at community building and
discussing ongoing projects and ideas. The main reason for the board
meeting was to admit three new members. With the admission of the newest
members, Wikimedia Hungary now has 60 members.
 Employee

January has been a great leap professionally for Wikimedia Hungary by
hiring Tamás Mészöly as our office manager in charge of most administrative
duties and special projects we assign to him.

He has started working at the end of December, but due to holidays, January
was his first full month. His first main tasks have been setting up the
office (telephone, printer, access to the bank account), working with our
accountant, members and board on closing the books on 2011 and as gesture
towards our partners, ordering and sending out our greetings cards.
 Server crash

On or around 11 January the RAID controller component of a server hosting
our websites and a number of web services (like our membership application
form, among others) has crashed and due to an error of the replacement
controller some data has been corrupted.

We have already migrated essential services (like e-mail) to our own
server<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports/Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g/February_2011#Toolserver>,
and are working on restoring and recreating the content that was stored on
the crashed server (and obviously, implementing an off-site backup
solution). In the mean time, wikimedia.hu redirects to our Meta-Wiki
page<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g>
.
 Zagreb trip

Wikimedia Hungary has received much help from its partners in previous
years and we wanted to contribute back this year by encouraging the
self-organization of Wikimedia communities in the neighbouring countries
and supporting the participation of Wikipedians in the neighbouring regions
in Hungarian and regional Wikimedia events.

It is this theme that the independently conceived idea of a Wikimedia
Foundation Board of Trustees–Chapters
Committee<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_Committee> trips
to the region fit into; and as the first step, Ting Chen from the Board of
Trustees, and Miloš Rančić (Wikimedia
Serbia<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Serbia>)
and Bence Damokos (Wikimedia Hungary) from the Chapters Committee visited
Zagreb between 20-22 January.

On the trip they made contact with and between the local Wikipedians, who
have already founded the not-yet-recognized Wikimedia Croatia chapter and a
local hackerspace organization called MAMA. The visitors tried to encourage
Croatian Wikipedians to have regular meetups (possibly facilitated by a
travel costs grant from the Wikimedia Foundation) and to restart the
recognition process of Wikimedia
Croatia<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Croatia>
.

The next destination is
Slovenia<http://sl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedija:Pod_lipo#Obisk_iz_Wikimedie>,
which we will visit on the weekend of 26 February, on the 10th anniversary
celebration<http://sl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedija:V_%C5%BEivo/Desetletnica>
of
the Slovenian Wikipedia.
 Ongoing projects and project ideas In January a number of projects have
started life in the discussion phase and some have gotten to later stages
of completeness, however, they will only bear fruit at later times.

   - We have started working on replenishing our supply of smaller value
   goody items (pens, pencils, yo-yos, etc.), which will probably continue in
   February once we find a printer who can confidently print on curving
   surfaces (for the pencils and other round items we were considering).
   - We have offered six partial
scholarships<http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships> for
   Wikimania 2012, and have approved one travel support request to the Open
   Wiki GLAM of
Serbia<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Open_Wiki_GLAM_of_Serbia> event
   in February.
   - Based on the suggestions of Wikimedia Estonia to have a dedicated
   workshop in the summer, we have begun thinking on what resources we could
   mobilize to help the development of Wikipedias in Finno-Ugric languages
   (e.g. presentations at conferences, getting students involved, etc.).
   - We also had started discussing the idea of a joint Estonian-Hungarian
   article writing competition on Wikipedia.
   - Finally, a
call<http://szoc.bme.hu/sites/default/files/Wikim%C3%A9dia-gyakornok.pdf>
was
   issued for a PR&Communications intern position.