[Foundation-l] Call for nominations: chapter-appointed seats on the WMF Board of Trustees

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Thu Feb 2 10:58:30 UTC 2012

> My conclusion was that for even relatively big languages like Catalan it
is
> impossible to get representation in community elections unless you start
> writing in English Wikipedia.

Well, if I remember correctly, at some point we elected an Italian board
member in the community elections. (I do not even mention a French member
and a German/Chinese member, since it is easy to argue that these are major
languages). It all very much depends on the candidates individually and on
the set of the candidates. This does not invalidate your point (and I
personally believe that we need other avenues of elections that the direct
community elections), but is intended to put the argument in a good
perspective.

Cheers
Yaroslav