[Foundation-l] Call for nominations: chapter-appointed seats on the WMF Board of Trustees

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 23:36:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:

> The appointed members of the Board are chosen for their specific expertise
> and skill-set.  The Board does publicly identify the slots it is trying to
> fill when looking for appointees, and the qualifications that they
> require.

Do you know what any of those criteria are? The voted members also have
certain expertise and skill-sets, and then they go through a voting
process.

> The chapter-selected seats...nobody knows what criteria are being used,
> what specific expertise is being sought, what skill-set is being selected
> for.  The end result, as best I can see from the first two rounds, is "the
> same people who could easily have run for election, because they're well
> known and widely active in the community".

Again, I can't speak on the specifics of the election process. Beyond that,
the chapter elected members, give their presentation, are nominated by a
chapter, and most of their expertise, are known to the individuals voting
for them. This seems similar to community elected members. I can not speak
about the need for privacy, ideally as much as can be public, should be. I
can understand requests to have certain amount of information made public,
but there also needs to be a safe place to discuss these issues.

Regards
Theo