[Foundation-l] Call for nominations: chapter-appointed seats on the WMF Board of Trustees

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 1 22:43:04 UTC 2012

(personal opinion); no, 39 chapter people voted. Hands up everyone who
voted for their chapter's trustees because they trusted their judgment in
appointing members of the WMF Board?

The rhetoric is most certainly not like that in the UK. Trustee elections
tend to be scoped as "and this is what [candidate] plans to do to extend
the wikimedia movement in the UK"; how they feel about wider governance
issues, last time, at least, didn't come into it. It is incredibly risky to
say that just because a group of individuals is trusted to run GLAM events
in a nation, we trust them to vote on board members - or we appointed them*
*for that reason.

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development
Wikimedia Foundation