[Foundation-l] Call for nominations: chapter-appointed seats on the WMF Board of Trustees

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 22:36:59 UTC 2012

On 1 February 2012 17:22, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 February 2012 22:17, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is well and good, but it gives the impression that the current three
> > elected members of the board are somehow considered not representative of
> > the movement, and that the opaque selection and appointment process for
> the
> > "chapter" seats is somehow more representative of the movement.  It
> > concerns me a lot that the 97% of active Wikimedians who are not chapter
> > members seem to not be considered part of the movement.
>
> I didn't get that impression at all.
>
> The board doesn't just need to be representative of the community. It
> also needs to be capable of running the WMF as well as possible. We
> need to balance those two goals. Having a couple of chapter-selected
> seats is a good way of doing that.
>
> _

In what way do chapter-selected seats improve the running of the WMF,
Thomas?  The Board has no say in who is being selected, and there is no
basis in fact to say that those appointed by the chapters are any more
effective or helpful in meeting the Board's goals or running the WMF than
would community-elected Wikimedians.

I would think that direct appointment of those with specific skill sets
would be how the board ensure it is "capable of running the WMF as well as
possible."

Risker/Anne