[Foundation-l] Call for nominations: chapter-appointed seats on the WMF Board of Trustees

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 1 20:22:26 UTC 2012

> *if not all chapters participate, or if the "discussion" is dominated by a
> > few chapters, or if by some measure the Board determines that the
> selection
> > forwarded by the moderators does not sufficiently represent the Chapters,
> > is there any thought to refusing to certify under these circumstances?
> > *
>

> If only a handful of chapters participate in the discussion, there is no
> "consensus among chapters" and therefore we will have a vote.If not enough
> chapters vote in the determined time, we will prorogue the vote until they
> do... and only them we will tell the Board we have a result. We all know
> how to identify a consensus, don't worry.

I'm not sure you've answered the question being asked; which is - will the
current board be able to scrutineer the selection process and ultimately
veto the recommendation the moderators pass along?

He's not asking about how the moderators decision is made.

This is important because all elections of this form - particularly private
ones should be scrutineered.

> *Board members, however they are selected, represent the Wikimedia
> > Foundation and the whole "community" or movement. My question is - if the
> > 38 chapters represent only a small portion of the whole of Wikimedia...
> > *
>

> I'm sorry but last Chapters Seat Election had more participants than the
> Community seats election... if you want to compare, we should get rid of
> Community election seats, not the chapters one.

Umm; I recall there were more than 38 participants in the discussion and
overall process. ;) And one would imagine that individual chapter board
members would have a unified approach (based on their chapters decision)
meaning there are 38 opinions to consider.

However, this whole process is a bit confusing for me because it seems that
those with access to chapters wiki have the ability to discuss candidates.
And only limited information about those candidates can be passed to the
wider chapter.

Essentially, then, this is a chapter board member discussion. Fine, I have
nothing against my own chapters board members and I am sure they will act
fairly and with clarity. But it is hard to act on behalf of the chapter
when we can't even see the process, full candidate information and
discussion...

Tom